Monday, January 25, 2010

A Week In The Life of an Actor

Boy, this week was full of ups and downs but it began and ended with filming, which I'm ecstatic about. I'm working on this amazing web series about the Prop 8 trial here in CA. For those of you who don't know about it, Prop 8 was put on the ballot to dis-allow the marriage of same-sex couples. CA voters approved the measure in November 2008 and now there is a trial going on to overturn the decision. However, the CA Supreme Court ruled that the case would not be televised, so our producers decided to re-enact the case. I cannot believe the great team we have working on this - actors, producer, director. Check it out and let me know what you think!

So, my week started with filming the web series. I finished catching up reading Bonnie Gillespie's amazing articles. I did my planning for the upcoming week.

Monday was the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday and when rain started. It rained, rained, and rained all week. We saw sunshine on Saturday, Sunday and so far today, but I hear another storm is on its way here this week. It was bitingly cool earlier in the week and still is cool - 50's - in LA (I know what my Eastern Coast readers would say - Are you nuts? That's warm! - but, that's cold for LA!) I also learned I lost a couple of tutor clients. Unfortunately, the tutor business is cyclical, you get some, you lose some. I had a great workout session, with my personal trainer, Ana, at Train. I've been seeing 11:11 on the clock a lot lately. That means the angels are with you and are trying to communicate with you - very, very spiritual.

On Tuesday, I tutored. I watched a great video by Casting Director Marci Liroff. I was contacted by a writer for Inc. Magazine who wanted to interview me about an article that I wrote in 2004. Cool!! That article still pulls today.

On Wednesday, I had a great coaching session with the wonderful Dallas Travers. I lost another tutor client. I've noticed that the tutor clients that stick are the ones who want to tutor and are committed to it and they improve their grades because of it (I have a guarantee that the student will see at least a 1-grade increase if they stick with the tutoring.). I met with a client that I do PR for. Man, I love PF Changs. I saw my personal trainer again today. I worked on a play for acting class that I have been working on for a while called "Keely and Du". A very intense, but fascinating, play.

On Thursday, I tutored, worked on my play, and got a chance to view my work that I filmed on Sunday. I also scheduled a meeting with a new tutor client.

On Friday, I tutored. I had an audition for a short film over at CAZT Studios - I'm still on the fence whether I like that place or not. I didn't feel I did as well as I did on the audition I had last weekend, which I have a callback on, but because this industry is so subjective, you never, ever know so I try to put auditions out of my head and move along my journey and if I book something along the way, super!! I was also contacted by the producer of the web series I am working on that I would be filming more of my scenes for my web series on Saturday.

On Saturday, the new tutor client meeting was canceled, I filmed more of my scenes for the web series, and I worked on my play.

Yesterday, Sunday, was so productive. We went hiking to Runyon Canyon, I drafted a press release for a client, I was asked to write and wrote a post for a guest column on a great blog. The post is here. I made dinner. I engaged with people on Twitter and Facebook. And, I found out I booked the lead in the short film that I auditioned for on Friday. And, I'm on track to get all my marketing packages mailed this week to my target CDs and producers.

That, my friends, is a very full week. And, the 16th Annual SAG Awards were on Saturday. Congrats go out to all the winners. I am so happy for Jeff Bridges, Sandra Bullock, Mo'Nique, Christoph Waltz, the cast of Inglorious Basterds, Julianna Margulies, and Kevin Bacon, who won their respective categories.

And, I'm out of breath, I'm so looking forward to and grateful for all my amazing experiences and opportunities this week.

Keeping living, y'all! Enjoy yourself. Flaunt it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment