Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Good Week

The first two days of this week have been full of pleasant surprises. I have 3 new clients, was asked to re-join an old theatre company and had a wonderful audition. I also revised my strategic marketing plan (which I do on a very regular basis) and am doing a lot of actor marketing for myself. I am feeling very liberated and in a very take charge mode. I think sometimes as actors we feel we do not have control over our careers and end up becoming quite passive. I took a workshop at the SAG Conservatory summer sessions earlier this month from an audition coach who struck a chord in me - my audition is mine, I get to control the time I'm in the room. How many times do we get in our head and worry about will they like me, do they want to see this or that? It IS all about me, what I am doing, am I listening, am I connecting, am I having fun.

I'm cranking up Yogi Berra's quote a notch by saying that "Acting is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

I'm starting my rounds of casting director workshops - I took a long hiatus as I was moving into a new home and we all know how daunting a task that is. I feel in a good place and I think it has to do with being objective about life, enjoying the process and forgetting about the outcome - and that's what creativity is all about.

And I must say a big RIP to Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Ed McMahon, Billy Mays, Fred Travalena - I'm sure I'm missing lots, and I've already listed great icons. Life is so precious - we really have to live life like we were dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment